Friday, August 28, 2009

Welcome to Hot Air


This is my first post on my new blog. As a meteorologist, I figured an appropriate name for the blog would be "Hot Air", although it really isn't very original. But I'll do originality later.

I plan to share my thoughts on the weather, or any other topics, as they arise. Feel free to comment as you wish, but try to keep all replies on-topic and non-threatening.

Welcome!

The aurora forms when charged particles from the sun interact with the upper atmosphere. They usually occur in polar regions, but when the sun is especially active they can occur at lower latitudes. The above aurora was observed over Wisconsin.

Here is a video that shows the danger of getting too close to a tornado. Note the rather unsettling way that it ends. It is rumored that the photographer was killed by the tornado, but this was never conclusively determined.

10 comments:

  1. When is the Marine Layer coming back? Too hot.
    Nice work.
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Alaska this past Spring. We saw the Aurora up above Fairbanks. I realized that a lot of pictures like the one above tend to be taken with time delayed shutters. This makes much prettier pictures than can tend to be seen with the naked eye.
    Did you know that some people claim to be able to hear the Aurora? I'm not one of those people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know about the time-delayed shutters (and I'm a meteorologist), but it makes sense. Most auroras are probably rather faint in comparison with the moon and stars. I was, however, aware of people claiming to hear the aurora, although this seems unlikely (they occur at 50 miles or higher in the atmosphere).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi yourself! (That pie is rather scary; it's eyes seem to follow you.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or "its" eyes, I mean; I try never to make that mistake. (See how rattled the pie got me?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pie has scared many people. More than I ever expected. I made it in good humor, but now leave it up to hear the horrified reactions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! You have your blogaversary in two days! Maybe another post? One a year shouldn't be too hard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, now it's tomorrow! I'm kind of busy with various things--getting the course together for another semester--but I'll try to put up something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jennifer, in case you're tracking this blog somehow, I just put up my first anniversary post. It's fairly short; I plan to do a more detailed one tomorrow. Of course, that's my current plan--in reality, it might actually take another year...

    ReplyDelete