Saturday, August 28, 2010

Happy Birthday To Me

Or more accurately, to this blog. (My b'day is in October.) It was one year ago today that I completed my first post, done as an assignment for a quick intro course on using blogs in teaching. As you can see, I haven't done any more blogging, in the classroom or anywhere else, until today. But as commenter Jennifer noted, one post a year shouldn't be too hard. So I'm putting that theory to the test.

As for what to write about, it seems obvious to me that the topic should be hurricanes. Last time I checked, there was one hurricane (Danielle), one tropical storm (Earl), and one tropical depression (potential Fiona), all lined up in the Atlantic. Danielle should miss the U.S. mainland by a wide margin (although it may create rip currents along the East Coast). Earl is a bit more problematic, but it's still too early to really tell where it may go. And (potential) Fiona, who isn't even officially named yet, may be the most dangerous of all. At least that's my opinion based on one long-range forecast model, which is not at all infallible. (Neither the model nor my opinion are infallible, just to clarify.)

Tomorrow is the tragic fifth anniversary of Hurricane Katrina's landfall, so as long as I'm posting on hurricanes, I think I'll make a more detailed post then. I envision it as being partly on Katrina and partly on other fascinating (to me, anyway) information on hurricanes.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Blogaversary!

    I can't believe Katrina was 5 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    I'm going to try doing the Katrina post now, although I don't know how much original material I can come up with. But it's my blog, so I can be as original, or unoriginal, as I want.

    ReplyDelete